Monday, February 4, 2008

Perfume for the Occasion : Valentine's Day

It’s February, and what better subject for this month’s Perfume for the Occasion than Valentine’s Day? Today, Fragrance Bouquet and For the Love of Perfume share their thoughts on making the perfect choice for the day.

I have to admit, researching this month’s PFTO Feature was a lot of fun, but at the same time it was also quite overwhelming. Where does one begin in choosing a fragrance for this holiday? Should the focus be on luxury and sophistication, knowing that many will be going out for a special dinner? Or should the focus perhaps be on seduction, knowing that just as many will be making the evening special a deux, very privately at home? Or would it have been more fun to playfully take a look at the best of fragrances touting the subject of love in their name, such as Anick Goutal’s Quelle Amour and Grand Amour? The possibilities seemed limitless. In the end I decided to follow my instinct – what clearly seemed more interesting for the occasion were the essential do’s and don’ts, so that was my starting point.

Don’ts: Despite the fact that Chypre is one of my favorite fragrance families, in my opinion Valentine’s Day is one of those few occasions when they are not appropriate. Most Chypres carry, along with an air of beautiful, distinguished sophistication, an air of unattainability and often, superiority. Many green Chypres in fact, have the remarkable ability of making the wearer appear distanced from mortal passions. Even the sexually charged, animalic Chypres like Paloma Picasso seem inappropriate: Despite the fact that they have the ability to ignite fiery lust, they still have an air of forceful competence that can be very forbidding. The message they convey is often “You can look (and squirm with desire), but you can’t touch till I say so”. Marine – Aquatic and Ozonic fragrances are best left for another day as well. Their cool nature does not make them good candidates for the occasion, which calls for warmer scents. Too, they can be frivolous, nonchalant and sometimes too casual – all these qualities will render them out of sync with the character of the evening and your body language.






Do’s: It should be a night that’s all about sharing love and passion so the key word is warmth. Orientals like the recently reviewed Moschino are wonderful choices, as are animalic and musky scents, which are the most obvious perhaps, but also the most capable of conveying a passionate message. Those that favor Gourmand scents will be glad to know that this day is indeed the most perfect occasion to wear them with abandon, since their edible nature will speak louder than words. Choose a nuanced, rich gourmand fragrance instead of a simple linear vanilla or chocolate comfort scent, for the situation surely deserves it. If you have a signature scent or one that you wear very often, consider wearing something different for the day – just another way to make your significant other aware that you made a special effort for the evening!

Finally, in short, three choices for the day:

For the Ladies: When I reviewed Soie Rouge by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, I wrote that this is definitely a scent for a very special occasion and noted that its ideal setting is silk sheets, champagne and caviar. In fact, the last paragraph of that review read “The intimacy it proclaims requires it be worn for whom you love most. I hope their heart swells with desire and appreciation, just as mine does when I smell this enchanting creation”. That’s what I call perfect for the occasion! You can read the full review here.

For the Gents: I always notice when a man wears Gucci’s Envy for Men. This wonderful Woody-Oriental smells at once sophisticated and beautifully seductive without being obvious. In fact, it is a slow, thoughtful, patient lover that first attracts one’s interest and then slowly proceeds to ignite a long-lasting flame. The patchouli in the base notes is quite clean and rests on a bed of creamy sandalwood that makes it deep, soft and tender. A great escape from the usual fresh-marine fare, this is sure to make an impression.

Unisex: This is not for the shy, bashful or timid: Parfumerie Generale’s Intrigant Patchouli is all animal, pure sex and primal instincts. Warm, sensual, but also very clear about its intentions, Intrigant Patchouli is an incredibly daring composition that will either make you fall in love or send you running. I intend to fully review this gem soon, so look forward to it. Not for the faint of heart!

Images: Flickr (originally uploaded by Sister72), Flickr (originally uploaded by Way Opening) and www.freeimages.co.uk


12 comments:

Unknown said...

In general I have to agree with the chypre comment, except I know of one modern chypre that seems to have the exact opposite effect: Narciso Rodriguez the perfect concept scent of warm silken slightly fuzzy skin. I suspect I will be wearing this for Valentine's day.

Anonymous said...

Dear Divina,
I really agree with your wise words - this 14th I'm going to wear one of my long time favourites, whether we're in or going out: Shalimar. I think it has everything: sophistication, romance, warmth, sweetness...
Also, I tried "Let It Rock" today - that's a gorgeous fragrance for a Valentine's Day occasion. I love it!
Can't wait to read your Intrigant Patchouli review,
Warmest wishes,
Linda ;-)

tmp00 said...

(scurries off to find the PG counter)

Anonymous said...

I'm not Valentine's Day biggest fan, but I must admit that the occasion is perfect for perfume.
And your suggestions are, as always, smart and useful.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Lovely choices, dearest D! :-)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your dos and donts, great post! Going out for dinner for vday, not certain yet what ill wear but leaning towards Dolce Vita.

Christine

Divina said...

Jen - I adoooore Narciso, especially in the Musc Oil for Her format! I too think it's not only romantic, but also supremely sexy. I personally have trouble viewing this a chypre...

Divina said...

My dearest Linda, Shalimar is perfect - exactly what I had in mind when I was writing about Oriental seductresses :) As for Let it Rock, I love it! Review of it coming soon.

Divina said...

Lol Tom! I'd reaaaaally love to hear your thoughts on that one when you get the chance to smell it!

Divina said...

Dearest Edwardian, I know what you mean about Valentine's day. My own feelings about it are quite mixed, but I'll admit I look forward to it when I am in a good long term relationship. I guess I like the anticipation of seeing what my partner has prepared for me and the build up of what I am going to do for him as well. It's a bit silly - the things he does for me daily, the way he loves me most of all, make every single day the best Valentine's day ever. But still, like a little girl, I like dressing up, I like the surprises, I like Occasions. I hope I do not seem too frivolous.

(hugs)

Divina said...

T, thank you darling! As were yours!

Divina said...

Hi Christine! You know, I used to dislike Dolce Vita - I found it way too sweet or cloying. (that was back when it was first released) However, lately I have gained a new appreciation for it. Jenny from Perfume Making (http://perfumemaking.blogspot.com/) compared it to Feminite de Bois and she prompted me to smell it again after all those years. I was so surprised when I sniffed it again and smelled the connection!