Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wrappings by Clinique : Perfume Review

Clinique launched Wrappings in 1990 as their second fragrance for women in the line. Visiting beauty counters as a very young girl at the time, I remember thinking that Clinique was the epitome of good taste and elegance when seeing Aromatics Elixir and Wrappings lined together under the rows upon rows of pastel, tastefully simple-packaged cosmetics. It was the time before all the “Happies”. Clinique was clean, austere, a step above the rest. The magazine ads for Clinique fragrances presented the two as twin sisters in their almost identical bottles and logo designs, but even then, I knew which one I preferred: Wrappings, the difficult sister, the one most people would shy away from due to her tenaciously challenging character. It was certainly not marketed towards pre-adolescent young girls, but I was in love. Wrappings has the same dry and sour character as L’eau Trois by Diptyque, but whereas L’Eau Trois can be seen as almost rural and evocative of bucolic, pastoral scenes, Wrappings reeks of good breeding. In that sense, it is a refined, elegant choice with the same air as Private Collection, smelling of privilege and money. It is a green, aldehydic chypre, with many flowery, marine and herbal notes. Most notably one can revel in its pine-like green accord, held together masterfully by nutmeg and lavender oils. Roses, cyclamens, jasmine and of course carnations form the flowery heart of the perfume, with beautiful moss and cedar acting as the base. But the notes say almost nothing of the creation itself; It is so expertly blended, none of them pop out sharply. One would be hard-pressed to define Wrappings as an explicitly sexy perfume – it is not. It is a scent a woman chooses for herself and not for others. But if she chooses it for the right reasons, Wrappings can become inexplicably alluring on her, a true signature scent. Chic sophistication and self-assuredness in a bottle. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued here in Europe, but thankfully it can still be purchased online. For how long, I wonder?

Pictures courtesy of www.fragrancenow.net and www.1stperfume.com respectively.


5 comments:

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Lovely review D.! Wrappings is not one I have enjoyed in the past, although I have worn Aromatics Elixir at times. I will have to give this one another sniff. :-)

Madelyn E said...

Dear Divinia,
Good Luck with your new blog ! I love the name .. you write very well. Also the photos of jasmine, etc are a welcome addition to the prose.
I added you to my favorites !

Divina said...

Morning girls :) Thank you very much for the kind words! It's great to get feedback. Tmh, I am about to head over to yours and see which of the 3 you decided to review, crossing my fingers for Satellite!

Unknown said...

A very nice review, thank you. I was able to try this for the first time in many years when some came into our perfume shop today. I was astounded by the classic beauty-dry, green, chypre came to mind immediately. It far surpasses the exalted Aromatics Elixir. The leather base notes are perfectly balanced-strong, but subtle. The heart is very restrained. It has nice sillage and good longevity. Your comment about "signature scent"-it was eerily true! I thought maybe I had found it, after many years and thousands of perfumes! Thanks again-

b.n. There are many similarities to this scent and Moments by Priscilla Presley, although the latter is far cruder in its presentation and less melodic in its composition.

Divina said...

Hey! We have almost the same name :) I loved reading you comment because it shows so clearly you love this fabulous, elegant, sophisticated scent. I have never smelled Moments (wonder if it ever made it to Europe?). Even though I compared it to L'eau Trois and you compared it to Moments, funnily enough my head still tells me that this is one of the most unique and daring perfumes ever created...

:)